Formed in 1982, the Alumni Association of the University of Colombo is the apex body of the alumni of various faculties of the University, forming a link between its membership and the University. The Association was formed by the University of Colombo during the tenure of the late Prof. Stanley Wijesundera, Vice Chancellor with Mr. Tissa Devendra as the founder President of the Association. The Association has had many distinguished and eminent alumni as its office bearers. Today, the Association continues its role of fostering close ties between the student body, University and its alumni.
The Alumni Association of the University of Colombo views its role as “connectors” and thought leaders very seriously and to this end, not only conducts various programs and initiatives targeting the development and welfare of undergraduates and its members but also conducts public forums to create awareness and discussion in matters of public importance.
Activities conducted by the Alumni Association on an on-going basis include:
1. Career Guidance Programs for University undergraduates to improve employ ability after graduation such as:
• Soft Skills programs;
• Organizing of Outward Bound Programs to develop leadership and team spirit;
• Training in effective writing of CV’s and conducting of mock interviews;
• English Communication and Speech Craft Programs;
2. Conducting of Entrepreneurship Development Programs where undergraduates are exposed to the experiences of eminent business personalities in the country where training and insights are provided to identify feasible business propositions, develop essential financial management competencies and a host of other entrepreneurial skills;
3. Conducting of the annual Sujata Jayawardena Memorial Oration where each year, an eminent trail blazer and a pioneer thought leader is invited to make a thought provoking address;
4. Assistance in the maintenance of the Sujata Jayawardena Hostel for women undergraduates, being the flagship project of the Association which was constructed and handed over to the University on 28th September 1995;
5. Running of a Bookshop in the University premises;
6. Organizing of Public Forums as think tanks and discussion platforms on matters of public relevance and national significance.